Monday 18 July 2016

A shady business

Speaking as someone who got horribly sunburnt this past weekend (you would think as a fully paid-up redhead, I'd have learnt by now, but apparently not), this is a post I should have written weeks ago. Predictably, it's about sun-hats. My take-out is this - I should carry one at all times when the temperature gets above 20C. Luckily there are lots around to choose from, starting with this one from ASOS which continues on nicely from the last blog's bow theme.

Raw-edged oversize floppy bow hat - £18 - ASOS
My main sun-hat inspiration comes from a fixation with the amazing Eugenia Kim hand-embroidered range of sun-hats, now only available in the US (but let's face it, when did such a thing as international borders last stop me?).

Eugenia Kim 'Wish you were here' sun-hat - $485 - Saks Fifth Avenue

Happily, given the price and the logistics of getting your hands on this, there are some similar versions on the High Street, like this one from Oliver Bonas:

Hello Sunshine floppy hat - £24 - Oliver Bonas
And this one from ASOS if you want a cheekier take on the theme:
Where's my beach at straw hat - £20 - ASOS 

As previously discussed, pom-poms are everywhere this summer and hats are no exception. There are some lovely options around, like this one from Sensi Studio at net-a-porter:

Pom-pom embellished toquilla straw Panama hat - £100 - net-a-porter

I especially love this one from Yosuzi at Matches Fashion:
Simea straw hat - £260 - Yosuzi at Matches Fashion
And for pom-poms without the price-tag, ASOS has loads, including this gem from Catarzi:

Catarzi black & white pom-pom straw hat - now £22.50 - ASOS

Finally, if full-on straw hats aren't your thing, this is a brilliant option from Uterque which combines a pared-down, structured felt hat with a straw Panama shape:

Straw & felt hat - now £29.90 - Uterque

Talking of hats, and despite the fact it's approaching 30C outside, I found myself wandering around the shops yesterday where a winter hat just happened to 'fall' into my basket in Fenwick at Bond St, from hand-made Spanish-made hat brand Big Aristote. I almost can't wait for the temperature to drop so I can wear it. Almost. 












Asos

No comments:

Post a Comment