Friday 10 June 2016

Go Gucci go

I'll admit my usual shopping budget does not extend this far (beyond the odd reckless net-a-porter sale purchase, of course). However, browsing the Matches Fashion website today has reawakened an obsession with Gucci that I can't remember having had since the early 2000s. I honestly don't think I've been so excited about a collection since, oh I don't even know. It all started with this dress which I saw on one of my all-time-style-crushes and fellow redhead Ruth Wilson in InStyle back in March. It is utter, utter perfection, from the colour to the length to the all-important narrow-deep-v-neck. Of course it's sold out so it's academic that it was nearly £2K and, honestly, where would I wear it? But still. I'm not sure there's a dress on the planet I've ever coveted to this extent. Maybe if it comes back into stock I can crowd-fund it?

Gucci V-neck cotton blend dress, Matchesfashion.com
Next up on today's Gucci hall of fame (and yes, I'm signed up to the waiting list - please don't let there be a rush on the 41....) are these beauties. It's taken me almost 40 years to realise that trainers are not, in fact, the devil's shoe and let's just say I'm now fully conversant with the dark side of flat footwear. I'm already busy finding ways to justify the spend (£177.50 per foot works for me).

Gucci Ace embroidered leather trainers

And then there's the jacket. Fundamentally, I'm enormously lazy when it comes to fashion and nothing pleases me more than a key item that gives you a pulled-together look even if you've actually been chronically-insomniac for the past 10 days and nowhere near a good hairdresser for the past six months. Et voila - let me introduce the collarless tweet jacket. Preppy to an extreme (full disclosure - I am a BIG fan of preppy - I blame an obsession with Sweet Valley High in my youth) but oh so perfectly-formed. It would be a dream with jeans or over a denim dress. I'm having palpitations just looking at it. 

Gucci, collarless tweed jacket
Finally, there's a coat. I've decided not to post it as it's got fur on the sleeves and I'm conflicted. I don't agree with the stuff and I know I'd never actually be able to justify buying it. But oh my. If the fur was faux, it would be winging its way to me right now and I'd wear it regardless of any heatwave. And believe me I know a good coat when I see it. More on that later...





No comments:

Post a Comment