Saturday 11 June 2016

Oh, the cleverness of collars

It started with an unexpected gem at Topshop last year in the form of one of the most versatile (read lazy - it's never even seen an iron) garments I own - a black top with stretchy blue lace sleeves, blue lace underlay, all importantly, a white Peter Pan collar. Until about two years ago, I didn't do any neckline other than a v-neck so the buttoned-up look is entirely new territory for me and I love it. Nothing screams 'Look, I've made an effort', quite like a pristine white collar peeking out over your top (even if the rest of the shirt looks like you've slept in it). Especially if it has a hint of the Neverland about it.

The day I discovered Me+Em layering shirts was a great one for my wardrobe (and not such a great one for my bank balance). It's worth a look at the moment as there are some in the sale, like this one which is £39 (at the time of writing only available in XL but keep an eye out as the availability seems to get updated all the time and sizes come back. Plus in my experience, when your husband shrinks one of these by washing it in hot water, the XL will start to look like not too bad an idea). The thing I love most about these, is that they're low-maintenance to an extreme as they're mainly jersey and therefore don't need ironing. Yep.

Me & Em layering shirt in Optic white - currently £39


A collar also works brilliantly with a dress (if only I'd realised this years ago). There are some lovely options around at the moment which would be supremely easy to wear right now and even into Autumn/Winter, like this one from Alice and Olivia, currently available on The Outnet
Textured-knit mini dress £147.50 - The Outnet

Or this version from ASOS which I think I like even more because of the sleeve length and the detail on the collar (the fact you can throw it in the wash, doesn't hurt either of course)

ASOS Collar detail A-Line dress £30

It works for evening too - take this completely and utterly gorgeous number from Sister Jane - a new favourite brand I recently discovered on a rainy-afternoon ASOS trawl. I may have to order this one immediately. 

Sister Jane 2-in-1 Amethyst shirt dress - £60, ASOS

A collar works brilliantly with short sleeves too - again, Sister Jane do this kind of thing brilliantly (actually they do all kinds of things brilliantly - I think that's a whole post in itself). Like this - beyond perfect on so many levels and would look good with practically anything. Predictably it went from low stock to sold out as I was writing this but it's still in stock on the main Sister Jane site - hoorah. 

Sister Jane Tarot Double Layer Tweed Shirt top £52 ASOS

Zara has some gems (as usual) too, like this one, with a hint of nautical too, so it'd be a great option for summer when you want to be casual but polished. It's short though so I'd recommend a vest top underneath if you're tall like I am. 

Zara top with Peter Pan collar £15.99
And here's the Topshop number that started it all (I'm sure my husband won't mind a bit that I've cropped him out. No, not at all. Nice shirt, by the way). 







No comments:

Post a Comment