Monday 13 June 2016

The forecast for summer is grey

I've always been a bit of an Eeyore at heart so maybe this explains my obsession with grey (I'm a fan of koalas too, so perhaps it's that as well?). The classiest of all neutrals in my book; grey is so much fresher and more understated than my beloved black. The weather (and maybe the fact I'm writing this in the early part of a long week), has prompted me to realise there's not nearly enough grey in my wardrobe. I don't care that it's summer - I think it works all year round and I need to bolster my collection. Here are some shades I'm lusting after right now:

Grey shoes - especially in a icier shade like this pair - are the epitome of elegance and I've fallen head-over-heels in love with these from Mint Velvet. 
Grey Naomi textured leather pump - Mint Velvet - £89


I can see them looking stunning with a classic pair of super-skinny jeans - especially in a more vibrant blue like these from Victoria Beckham Denim at net-a-porter. The blue would perfectly offset the grey and topped with a slouchy white t-shirt, I think you'd struggle to match this ensemble for effortless chic and casual elegance. If you're going to do pale grey and dark denim though, make sure you spray the shoes with a protector of some kind first so you don't get denim dye rubbing off and ruining their icy perfection: 

Victoria Beckham Denim Power-high high rise skinny jeans, blue denim - netaporter - £160

It's impossible to talk about grey without mentioning cashmere (I know it's summer, but look at the weather). It's what grey was invented for. I've mentioned v-necks before and this M&S number ticks all the boxes for depth and shape (not to mention that at £75, it ticks the very important box of being a bargain - especially if you consider the current £10 offer for the beauty box worth £120 when you spend £40 or more). It also ticks the box of catering to the supremely lazy - like me - as it doesn't have to be dry-cleaned and can be chucked (or carefully-placed) straight into the washing machine. Thank you M&S. 

Marks and Spencer pure cashmere v-neck jumper - £75
If you can't bear to do jumpers when we're half-way to July, the Tilda shirt from Winser London is a stunning lighter option. Think Gillian Anderson in The Fall. I love shirts - mostly how they look on other people (see Gillian Anderson) - but very few actually suit me for reasons I've never quite been able to pinpoint. This is exactly the type that somehow would though - especially with details like the front pockets, the narrow, deep v. neck (that old chestnut) and the beautiful cufflink button fastening. Absolutely 100% worthy of justification as an investment purchase. 

Winser London - 'The Tilda' silk shirt - Dove Grey - £165
I'd wear it with everything from skinnies to pencil skirts, but I think slouchy trousers are the way to go right now and it'd look especially amazing with these sale bargains from the brilliant Me + Em.

Me + Em side stripe trousers - £68 (was £128)

I remembered while writing this that all this talk of adding grey to my wardrobe is slightly more than hypothetical as I purchased these gorgeous dove grey suede Maisy espadrilles from Mint Velvet last week. They're only available online and I had to wait for them to come into stock in an 8 but it was definitely worth it (even if I can't wear them outside until it stops raining). They run really quite small though, and they're definitely on the snug side for me even in an 8 so I'd definitely advise sizing up if you're buying these or their glittery cousin. And you'll note from the picture that grey is not just a theme I like when it comes to what I wear, I've realised it extends to home furnishings - and that in fact I was even sitting on a grey sofa to take the picture. Someone help me! 

Maisy grey suede espadrilles - Mint Velvet - £79







No comments:

Post a Comment