Tuesday 14 June 2016

Sales, sales and more sales

I remember this day clearly from last year as I was on holiday, on a terrible hotel wifi connection, attempting to shop the net-a-porter sale until my battery finally gave out. Imagine my delight to wake up this morning to see an email from net-a-porter announcing the start of this year's summer sale. Obviously I abandoned all thoughts of coffee before leaving the house and used the time to shop. I'm on a fast wifi connection after all.

One of the things I like most about the net-a-porter sale though is the element of fashion risk  - the lure of holding off on the things you might want to buy because they might go down more, but not knowing whether they'll sell out in the meantime. On net-a-porter, we're talking 80% off at the end of the sale, so it is well worth holding out if you've got the nerve (more on this in another post - I have a shortlist for just this purpose...). I was conflicted this morning however, because, after all, this is the one and only sale that I've seen which features Dodo Bar Or so I was quick off the mark to snap up my first 'bargain' - the playsuit I've been lusting after since I bought the Mandy dress - even though it was only 30% off (which I don't consider a bargain in my book). Common sense told me to buy the black (which is gorgeous), to mix things up a bit, (and given that the Mandy dress I already own is red), but my heart won out and a red version is currently winging its way to me. I'm already picturing myself swanning around in it on holiday come September so let's hope it fits.

Dodo Bar Or tasselled eyelet-embellished cotton gauze playsuit - net-a-porter - £168

Here it is in the black (for comparison purposes only, of course!). Since I looked this morning, all but five items of the Dodo items on sale have sold out so don't hang around if you've got your eye on any of it: 

Dodo Bar Or tasselled eyelet-embellished playsuit in black - £168 - net-a-porter


After an extensive trawl of the net-a-porter sale, I moved onto sister site, The Outnet. Their summer sale has an additional 40% off loads of great stuff that's already heavily discounted (and fabulous) - what's not to like? I quickly zoned in on some staples from Petit Bateau (which until about 3 years ago, I had no idea did adult clothing. But oh my goodness, they do it well). I'm not one for sleeveless dresses usually but I couldn't resist this one. I like the boxiness of the cut across the top and, if it's anything like other Petit Bateau dresses I own, it'll be made of super-soft, super-thick jersey and it'll never go out of shape. 

Petit Bateau jersey sleeveless mini - The Outnet - £24.75

I thought I was done, and then I saw this. I'm a big fan of cropped jackets, a big fan of Marni and a big fan of navy blue, so it practically put itself in my basket. And I'm glad it did as it's sold out (for now). I can see myself wearing it over long-sleeved marineres and summer jumpers or even over a dress (maybe even the Petit Bateau). I'm hopeful it'll be as versatile as a denim jacket, so I'll report back...

Marni Cotton pique cropped jacket - £207, The Outnet (sold out)


To top it off (or so I thought), over lunch, an email announcing the Matchesfashion sale dropped into my inbox. I ignored it, of course (and bookmarked it for a leisurely trawl later), and just when I thought I might have reached peak sale, I came home to an email about the Selfridges sale, which launches tomorrow. From here on in I may be limiting myself to 'operation hold-your-nerve' and only buying things I love that are truly bargains. Except for the fact that I discovered that my husband's credit card is 'accidentally' still linked to my net-a-porter account after buying a present from there a while back. So that puts things in a whole new light. Plus I haven't even started on the High Street. 

Back to today, after yesterday's blog I was pining for grey so today's outfit was a Halston Heritage 'shoe' t-shirt from The Outnet, Me + Em Italian Garbadine stretch leggings (the 2nd pair I've bought, I love them that much - and they're 70% off in the sale right now too), an old favourite Helmut Lang biker and sparkly silver/grey shoes from White Stuff






No comments:

Post a Comment